Haylee’s Igneous Salad
My daughter loves making this Oreo Cookie Snickers salad. We decided we needed to come up with a good name for it. We decided this salad looked like igneous rocks. At the time my daughter was learning about different types of rocks and so she decided to name it Igneous salad because it looked like black volcanic rock.
What is in an Igneous salad?
When we first started making igneous salad it was somewhat nutritious because it had apples in it. My children didn’t like it with fruit in it. So we usually leave the apples out of it. Actually you could probably put any fruit you want in it. Just be creative. I know that I have put snickers and other candy bars in my fruit salad. Doesn’t chocolate go with almost anything?
COOL WHIP OR WHIPPING CREAM
First, start with a large container of Cool Whip Whipped Topping. I use a 16-ounce container of Cool Whip, but you could use more or less. Place it in a large mixing bowl.
“This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through my link at no extra cost to you. “
- You need about 24 Oreo Cookies. I use 2 rows. This way you leave some of the cookies to snack on while you make the salad. You can use more or less according to your tastes.
- Chop the Oreos. I have done these different ways. 1) Use a food processor or chopper, 2) Use a cutting board and knife, 3) put them in a Ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or a meat tenderizer mallet, or even a hammer. 4) You can also just crush them with your “clean” hands.
- Mix the Oreo cookies into the Cream in the bowl. (Doesn’t it look like you just put igneous rocks into your bowl).
- Wash 2 apples
- Peel the apples. We aren’t real fond of the peelings on apples and so we usually always peel them, but it isn’t necessary.
- Core or cut the apples. You could slice them or leave them in big chunks. I have an apple slicer/corer that we use. Then cut them into chunks with a knife.
- Add the apples to the salad.
- The fruit is not mandatory. You could add other types of fruit, but then again, you don’t have to add fruit at all.
- Cut up the candybars. Use a cutting board and a knife. I used 6 funsize candybars. You could use 2 large candybars.
- Use as much or as little as you want.
- Stir the Snickers into the salad.
ADD OTHER STUFF
- BE CREATIVE
- Add any type of Candy that you want or that you have on hand.
- Reeses Pieces
- Chocolate Chips
- Any other flavor of Chips–peanut butter etc.
- Andes mints (adds a minty flavor)
- Heath Bar
- Add nuts if you want
- Stir it together into the Oreo/Snicker mixture.
Stir it together and refrigerate until ready to Eat it.
EASY FOR KIDS TO MAKE
This is a simple recipe for kids to make. If you want your kids to learn to use a knife and cutting board, this is a great recipe to do that with.
Each one of my kids have at least one recipe that has become their own. Whenever we have a potluck dinner to go to, they each make their individual items to contribute. This Igneous Salad has become my daughter’s favorite recipe.
Everybody loves this. You can’t go wrong with cookies and chocolate in Whipped Cream.
Make sure your kids learn the importance of cleanliness. Teach them to wash their hands before they start. When they are done, teach them to clean up their messes. Tell them how important “cleaning up” is when cooking or making things.
My daughter said, “THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!!!”
Please Leave A Comment
Have you ever made this? What variations have you tried?