STEP #1 GATHER THE INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
These Green Chicken enchiladas only require 6 ingredients. The first step in any recipe is to gather the ingredients and cooking utensils.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (10 oz.) cans green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 oz.) can green Chiles
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg. tortillas (corn or flour or both)
- toppings–salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, hot sauce, sour cream, etc.I
STEP #2 Cut and cook the chicken
There are multiple ways to cook the chicken. It can be boiled, baked, fried, cooked in instant pot, or slow cooker, or you can even use canned chicken.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces using kitchen shears.
- Put 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink (about 5-8 minutes).
Step #3 Chop the chicken
We like the chicken shredded so I use a chopper and chop the cooked chicken. I’ve used a food processor in the past. You could leave them in chunks if you desire.
STEP #4 WARM THE SAUCE
- Open the cans of enchilada sauce, and the cream of chicken soup, and put in a saucepan
- Use a whisk and stir to make it smooth
- Add the green Chiles
- Heat on medium heat
STEP #5 and #6 Grate the cheese and warm the tortillas
- Use a cheese grater and shred the cheese, or use cheese that is already grated. I like the Mexican blend shredded cheese.
- What is the difference between shredded cheese and grated cheese? I googled it to find out and was told that grated cheese is much finer than shredded cheese. So I guess for this recipe it should be shredded cheese.
- There are different ways to warm tortillas. It can be done in the microwave, but I chose to do it on my griddle on the stove.
- My husband likes corn tortillas but the rest of us prefer flour tortillas, so I usually do both.
STEP #7 Mix the chicken with sauce and cheese
- Put the chicken into a bowl
- Add a cup of the warm sauce
- Add a cup of the shredded cheese
- Mix together
STEP #8 ROLL THE GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- Spray cooking spray in a cake pan
- Put some of the sauce in the bottom of the pan
- Put some of the chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll it and place in the pan
- Pour remaining sauce over the top
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top
STEP #9 BAKE THE GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Put the enchiladas in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serve with salsa or other toppings
Serve with salsa, ketchup, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.
HOMEMADE SIMPLE SALSA
I bought a case of enchilada sauce from Amazon
“This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
My son doesn’t like green enchilada sauce, although I’m not sure he has actually tried it. I usually separate some of the chicken before I mix it with the sauce. Then he will make himself a quesadilla with cheese and the chicken on a tortilla. He either cooks it on the griddle or in the microwave. My daughter made herself some corn dogs, (silly girl).