WACKY WEDNESDAY–BREAKFAST FOR DINNER
You can make Breakfast Burritos for dinner. Once a week we have breakfast for dinner at our house. It is usually a Wednesday or a Thursday. This is a great meal to fix for your family at home. We have also made this on a camp chef or in a dutch oven, for large groups when we have been camping.
STEP #1 GATHER THE INGREDIENTS
- Gather the ingredients
- Hash-brown potatoes–O’brien potatoes with onions and peppers
- Shredded Cheese–We like Mexican style
- one dozen eggs
- Soft Flour Tortillas
- Electric Skillet, or frying pan
- salsa, ketchup, etc.
STEP #2 BROWN THE SAUSAGE
- Put the sausage in the electric skillet and cook until browned, stirring, and breaking up in pieces. I used bulk sausage and it was too lean and so I had to add a little bit of oil. I usually prefer using Jimmy Dean Bulk sausage. My family likes the taste better, and it seems to cook up easier.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and put it in a bowl and set aside.
STEP #3 COOK THE HASH-BROWNS
- Heat 3 Tbsp cooking oil in an Electric Skillet at 350 degrees–You can use cooking spray or 3 TBSP water.
- Carefully add frozen hash-browns to form an even layer.
- Cover and cook 9-12 minutes, turning every 2-5 minutes.
- Cook to a light golden color.
- Season to taste.
STEP #4 COOK THE EGGS
- Crack 12 eggs into a bowl
- Whip with a fork or wire whisk
- Add Salt and Pepper
- Pour into the skillet and Cook.
- Stirring to make scrambled eggs.
Note: I have picky eaters that don’t want their eggs mixed with other things and so I usually have to scramble the eggs in a separate pan.
You could scramble the eggs in the same skillet that you just used to cook the hash-browns while mixing them with the hashbrowns or even with the sausage.
STEP #5 MIX IT ALL TOGETHER
- Put the sausage back into the skillet.
- Put the hash-browns in if they have been removed
- Add the cooked eggs
- Add cheese
- Mix it all together while heating until the cheese melts.
STEP #6 WARM THE TORTILLAS
- I used the griddle on my stove. You could warm them on an electric griddle, in a frying pan, or in the microwave.
- Cook tortillas on an electric skillet on one side and then turn to the other.
STEP #7 ADD FILLING TO THE TORTILLA AND ROLL
- Put the tortilla on a plate
- Add some of the sausage, egg, and hash-brown mixture
- Add toppings such as salsa, or ketchup
STEP #8 Breakfast Burritos WITH SALSA OR WITHOUT?
THE THINGS MOM’S PUT UP WITH
I have one kid who likes eggs, tortillas, and cheese, but not hash browns or sausage. I have one that likes sausage but not eggs or hashbrowns. (but then the next time I make it, she decides she likes hashbrowns). I have one that likes eggs and sausage but not mixed together and she doesn’t like hash browns.
- So what do I do? I cook the sausage first in one skillet and the hash browns in a different skillet.
- Then I remove the sausage from the skillet and cook the eggs.
- I take part of the sausage and put it into one bowl, then part of the eggs and put it into another small bowl.
- Then I put the rest of the sausage, hash browns, and eggs into the skillet with the cheese and mix it all together for my husband and myself.
WACKY WEDNESDAY IS:
BREAKFAST FOR DINNER DAY!!!
- In case you didn’t get it, I have picky eaters that all want different things, and their food a different way. I guess the good thing is, that they will all eat parts of this meal instead of wanting something completely different.
- The hashbrowns that we like to use are the O’brien potatoes that have the onions and peppers in it. You could also use the shredded kind or the regular hashbrowns that don’t have those things in.
- I have some peppers in my freezer that I grew in my very own garden and chopped up and froze. (My Aunts would be so proud).
- I have used regular hashbrown potatoes and then added my own frozen peppers. You don’t need to defrost them. I just put them in the skillet at the same time as my frozen hashbrowns.
- If you are really good, you could use real potatoes that you peeled (or didn’t). Just chop them or grate them, (or is the correct word shred?), and fry them up.
- You can buy an electric skillet at Amazon.
- I bought the table cloth that I have on my table, at Amazon.
- “This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
LEAVE ME A MESSAGE
Please comment and let me know if you tried this recipe. If you have ever made this before, let me know about anything that you did differently. Thank you.